The history of radio in Sri Lanka can be traced to 1925 when Colombo Radio was established. While the service was taken over by the British Military during World War Two, it was subsequently returned to the Government of Ceylon (now Sri Lanka). Until the 1980s, the radio industry was a government monopoly under the Ceylon Broadcasting Corporation Act No. 37 of 1966.
At present there are over 50 stations operating in the languages of Sinhala, Tamil and English. While audience concentration in the radio market is high, the competitiveness has allowed for a few newer owners, such as Power House Limited, to enter the stage. Notably, both Power House and ASSET Radio Broadcasting have acquired audience share with only a single station each. This differs from ABC and The Capital Maharaja Organisation reaching their audiences with more than three stations each.